Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rough Week - still no answers

Once again, I apologize for not keeping up with my posts. This has been a very trying week for me.

When we last left off, I was going to see Dr. Wilson, my local GI doctor, to discuss the problems I am having with my tube feedings. That appointment was this past Tuesday.

My mother drove me to the appointment and my husband, Hugh, met us there. Hugh went in the room with me and my mom waited in the waiting room. The nurse came in and took my blood pressure and took my weight. My blood pressure was very low and I had lost 11 pounds since the last time I was there. That was on December 17th.

When Dr. Wilson came in, we explained the problems I had with the new food Dr. Wittles had put me on (the Nutren) and how I went back to the Jevity 1.5, only to continue to have problems. He decided the only way to start was to get some blood work and to get some "samples". I'm not going to go into the "sample" thing. Just to say that the samples will be able to see if there is any type of infection.

There is a term for the problem I am having. It is called "dumping syndrome". Many people with GP have this problem.

Fortunately, Dr. Wilson's office has a Compunet location in their office, so I went straight there to have my blood drawn and to get the supplies I needed for the sample collections I needed to take over the next 3 days.

The Compunet Technician had a difficult time getting my blood because I was so dehydrated. She explained how to get the collections and gave me my supplies. As I went to leave the lab, I passed out. The nurses came to get me and put me in a wheelchair. They got Hugh and put me in a room until they could ask Dr. Wilson what he wanted me to do.

We were instructed to go to Miami Valley Hospital South to get fluids since I was so dehydrated. So we went straight there and did just that. I got home about 8:30 that evening and felt much better since I gotten the fluids.

I contacted Shannon Robinson at Indiana University to make sure she and Dr. Wittles knew everything that was going on. She instructed me to stop the tube feeds completely once I completed the collections. Then try using Pedialyte or Gatorade in place of the food through the J-tube. This is to make sure I am keeping hydrated since I am not able to do this by drinking enough by mouth throughout the day. I am to do this for 48 hours. Then try to use the food again. However, if I have problems, stop immediately.

I have completed the collections and submitted them to the lab. I am using the Pedialyte through the J-tube now. I'm not having any problems using that at all. I will try resuming the nutrition on Sunday night.

I do not see Dr. Wilson until January 18th. Hopefully he will have some answers for me. I did ask him if I am not able to do my tube feeds through my small bowel, how will I get my nutrition? He said I would have to do it by TPN through a PIC Line. I have had this before when I was in the hospital for 9 days last year. That comes with it's own complications. I really hope it does not come to that.

Again, I continue to be encouraged by your thoughts, comments and prayers. They mean so very much.

Here is the verse that inspired me today. It is actually Psalm 121....

I look up to the mountains
does my help come from there?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!

He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never slumbers or sleeps.

The Lord himself watches over you!
The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.
The sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon at night.

The Lord keeps you from all harm
and watches over your life.
The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.

I know that God is in control of this situation, no matter what is happening. I have to keep telling myself that. I believe that with all my heart!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bonnie,

    I'm sorry things continue to be so rough. Your perspective on life is amazing! I will continue to pray for you as you walk this journey and try to figure out what this "new normal" looks like!