Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Back from Indiana

Today was my appointment to see Dr. Wittles at Indiana University.  Hugh was unable to go with me, so my mom went along.   As you all know, the last month has not been good for me, so I was anxious to get to see Dr. Wittles to see what answers he could provide.

Since I am continuing to have troubles with the J-tube (the one I use for feedings) with pain, Dr. Wittles feels it would be best to pull my J-tube and to replace my G-tube with a dual J/G-tube.  Essentially, I will have one tube where the G-tube is located, but with two ports.  One that will be used for drainage, just as it is now.  The other port will be connected to my small bowel, so I can continue to do my tube feedings.  Doing this will eliminate the need for two separate tubes and the need for a balloon in the small bowel area, which is what seems to be causing such pain in that area for me.   

I will be having this procedure done on March 8th, the day after I have my stints replaced in my bile duct.  It usually requires an overnight hospital stay.  But in my case, because I already have the tubes in place, it may not require the stay.  However, we will not know for sure until we get there.

Hopefully this will help eliminate the need for the pain medication I am on.   The longer I am on the pain medication, the worse it is for my stomach.  In addition, he cannot perform a gastric emptying study to see how my stomach is functioning until I am off the pain medication.  

In addition, Dr. Wittles changed my medications to help with the nausea and gave me some tips on how to handle with "issues" I am continuing to have with the food.   

We discussed the Gastric Stimulator and the conclusion (as of right now) is that I am probably not a good candidate.  I expressed my opinion that I do not want the procedure.  Dr. Wittles understood my position.

My concern right now is that I woke up today with my back hurting, which worries me that I may on the verge of another kidney infection.  I need to make sure I remain hydrated as much as possible.  I sure don't want to end up in the hospital again.

On a good note, I am going with my daughter this Thursday for her ultrasound to see the baby!  I am very excited about it!  I will also get to meet Corey's parents for the first time.  

Our son, Ben, earned all A's and B's for mid-term grades!  I have to announce this because he has worked very hard to bring his grades up.  We are very proud of him!

I know I say this at the end of every post, but I have to say it again.  I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.  It means so much to me and my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment